From 1st January 2022, Portugal’s Golden Visa legislation has now changed. As previously detailed by the Portuguese Government back in February 2021, a new decree-law now limits which areas of Portugal that Golden Visa Investors can purchase residential real estate. The new legislation states that residential investments can only be purchased in the country’s interior regions and coastal locations such as Lisbon, Porto and parts of the Algarve will no longer qualify.
However, commercial property investments will still qualify in any part of Portugal and this includes several of the major projects that La Vida offer, such as hotel share investments and commercial serviced apartments.
To summarise the main changes, Golden Visa investors can purchase:
Commercial Real Estate
- Commercial real estate anywhere in Portugal worth at least €500,000;
- Commercial rehabilitation projects anywhere in Portugal from €350,000;
- Commercial rehabilitation projects located in a ‘low-density’ area from €280,000
Residential Real Estate
- Residential real estate in designated interior areas of Portugal worth at least €500,000;
- Residential rehabilitation projects in designated interior areas from €350,000;
- Residential rehabilitation projects also located in a designated ‘low-density’ area within designated interior areas of Portugal from €280,000.
See here to understand more on the different investment categories.
For a free consultation on Portugal’s Golden Visa programme and the qualifying investment options, please contact La Vida’s experts.
From €500,000 + costs
Private Equity investment
EU Schengen Zone Travel
Apply Citizenship 5 years
Full Family Residency
No Requirement to Reside
Visa Free Travel